England staged a magnificent comeback to beat World Cup holders Germany coming from two goals down to earn a fantastic away win in Berlin, with Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy on the scoresheet.
Toni Kroos' long-range shot deceiving keeper Jack Butland, who was then carried off injured and Mario Gomez in the start of the second-half put the world champions ahead. England, with 19 year old Dele Alli magnificent, responded in style through Harry Kane's low finish and Jamie Vardy's first international goal in the 74th minute from Nathaniel Clyne's cross. In the 91th minute, Eric Dier powered home an injury-time header from Jordan Henderson's corner.
|GER||2 - 3||ENG|
It may only have been a friendly, but this was the perfect result and morale-booster for Hodgson and England as they put their plans in place for Euro 2016 in France this summer.
Some interesting facts about the game:
- England have lost just one of their last 18 internationals, having won 14 and drawing 3.
- Harry Kane scored his first goal when starting for England. His previous three all came as a substitute.
- England have now failed to keep a clean sheet in each of their last seven games against Germany.
- Germany scored with both of their shots on target.
- Mario Gomez scored his first goal for the German national team since June 2012.